Vegetables and I get along. Colorful, flavorful, versatile, easy to prepare, healthful and delicious, oh yes, they are dear friends of mine. Don’t get me wrong. I am a girl who appreciates a juicy steak, but I have yet to master the skills required to make protein the star of a memorable meal. There, I said what
at least two of you were thinking, right? Sweet potatoes are kind of a Sunday lunch staple in our family and this simple preparation is always a big hit. The benefit to this method is that you can make them in advance and then quickly reheat them in the oven as is or mash and reheat them. You could even purée them into a soup or make sweet potato pancakes with any leftovers.
I’m sure it would be no surprise that when I ate these I had one thought, “These would make a delicious pie!”
Best Four Ingredient Sweet Potatoes
- 1 firm, unblemished sweet potato per person
- Ground Cinnamon
- Olive Oil
- Honey (optional)
- Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- Baking Sheet
- Pastry brush (optional)
- Very sharp large knife
- Aluminum foil
- 400 degree preheated oven
- Line your baking sheet with foil.
- Drizzle olive oil, a little honey and a few splashes of vanilla onto your prepared baking sheet and distribute all over the pan with your fingers or a pastry brush. You want the pan evenly covered without any puddles.
- Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sparsely with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse your whole potatoes to remove dirt particles.
- Carefully cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise.
- Lay potatoes face down onto prepared sheet and give a little scoot to ensure the ingredients make contact with the flesh of the potato.
- Once all your potatoes are flesh down – skin up – on your pan pop them into the preheated oven. Depending on the size of your potato they may take up to 60 minutes for the flesh to soften, the skin to crinkle and the surface of the potato to caramelize. Set your timer for 30 minutes and check every 10 minutes until they are as done as you want them to be.
At this point you can serve them immediately or allow them to cool and refrigerate them until ready to use.
To reheat: place the baked potatoes flesh side UP into a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes or until an internal temp of 145 degrees.